The "Fuchsbau" from 1960 to 1978

Model view of the reconstructed and expanded Fuchsbau bunker at the beginning of the 1960s
In 1960, under strict secrecy, a "Special Construction Staff 22 at the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications" begins reconstruction of the World War II bunker.
Under the responsibility of the Ministry of the Interior, the bunker ruins were completely exposed. Damaged gallery areas were blasted away. In the process, the northern emergency exit staircase was also removed.
Other sections were renewed and new galleries were added on the south side.
The headframe is being built in front of the main gallery entrance.
A boiler house, a multipurpose building and the building for the guard company are added.
Prisoners from the Fürstenwalde remand prison were mainly used for the construction work.
The first "tenants" were the German Post Office with a transmission center and the Air Defense of the GDR with a warning and alerting center.
But due to the changed world situation, the National People's Army moved into the bunker in 1962 and set up here with an alternating command post for the air defense command post, whose headquarters were in Eggersdorf near Berlin.
The property is widely declared a restricted area and secured by a guard company.
Many members of the Ministry of the Interior are taken over by the NVA and look after the welfare of the new "Fuchsbau", which is now given the camouflage designation "Prüfstelle".
The relatively small Sicherstellungstruppe has a quiet life here until 1975 and keeps the facility on standby.
High-ranking visitors from Eggersdorf arrive only for maneuvers and in crisis situations.

Starting in 1973, an 1800-meter-long high-voltage security system surrounds the area around the bunker.

Then construction pioneers arrive with heavy equipment and set up home in a barracks camp not far from the Alte Petersdorfer Strasse.
In a deep excavation pit, a modern shelter soon grows up next to the old bunker.